The kibbutz originated in 1895 when land was donated for the planting of a citrons orchard, named Gan Shmuel after Rabbi Samuel Mohilever one of the fathers of religious Zionism (whose brother-in-law donated the land). The citrons orchard failed and after that attempts were made to grow olives which also did not go well.
Beginning in 1913, pioneers moved in and worked on the site, then also began the construction of the first buildings: the baby house and residences
In 1921 Gan Shmuel was recognized as a settlement group, and then they also moved to concrete construction
and in time a number of buildings were built including the dining room
And the grain tower
, in 1935 Gan Shmuel joined the national kibbutz.
About the signs
The signs scattered throughout the kibbutz depict buildings in the history of the kibbutz.
The signs are rectangular, and are on a pillar bearing a stone plate on which the sign is located. The signs show a historical picture of the building described by the sign, followed by a detailed description of the building or area.