The construction of the Tel Aviv port was decided after the shutdown of the Jaffa port during the Great Arab Revolt in 1936. The port was built near the "Levant Fair" area and near the Yarkon estuary
. The construction of the port was carried out day and night, initially a wooden pier was built, in which the first ship to arrive at the port in May 1936 (the Yugoslav Chuatrati) docked, in September 1936 an iron pier was built
and in 1937 the construction of the mooring was completed
. Even before the construction of the port was completed, it was already used mainly for exporting oranges
The port was inaugurated in February 1938.
During World War II, the port served as a base for the British Navy. Minesweepers moored in it guarded the shores of the Mediterranean. A unit for underwater work also operated at the port
With the establishment of the state, the port was used to supply various weapons and products and a mooring place for illegal immigrant ships. Activity in the port decreased over time and in 1965 the port closed.
Today, the port area serves as a cultural and entertainment shopping site and is operated under the "Tel Aviv Port" brand of the municipal company "Atarim"
About the Signs
The signs are rectangular metal signs on dedicated pillars or on the fence adjacent to the sea.